Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Great Pie on the Great Divide...

Before I moved to New Mexico, I thought the Continental Divide was just a movie starring John Belushi. Well, I knew it was more than that, but I didn't know much about it...

The Continental Divide (also known as The Great Divide) in the Americas is the line that divides the flow of water between the Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean. Rain or snow that drains on the east side of the Continental Divide flows toward the Atlantic Ocean, while precipitation on the west side drains and flows toward the Pacific Ocean. The divide runs from northwestern Canada along the crest of the Rocky Mountains to New Mexico. Then, it follows the crest of Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental.

On my first trip to Pie Town, along the 2-lane ribbon of asphalt known as Highway 60, we drove by a sign that said "Continental Divide 6,355 Ft." It seemed rather uneventful. At first, I had wanted to get out and take a picture. But it was just an ordinary, green road sign without much of a view behind it. Then we got to the top of the Divide and I saw in the distance a small cluster of buildings, rundown and abandoned. A short distance ahead of that was a quaint downtown, nestled in the high hills, between juniper trees. And then I saw it: The Daily Pie Cafe-- our destination. "Great Pie on the Great Divide... it's all Downhill From Here" is their slogan.

Being from New York and having lived in LA, I'm no stranger to good food. Being a baker myself, I was a bit skeptical when I was told this was the best pie I would ever eat. I said, "I'll bet it won't be better than the Key Lime pie at Blond Giraffe’s in Key West!" I had one slice of blackberry.... now I'm willing to eat my words. And more pie, please!!

At this down home restautant you can chat with locals, drink a bottomless cup of coffee for $5 (and then keep the souvenir mug), and order from the ever-changing menu board, otherwise known as "The World's Only True Pie Chart." Their cozy gift shop features T-shirts with aliens saying, "We came for the pie." Their mouth-watering array of heavenly slices are worth the drive from any star system. I'm still gathering the courage and the taste buds for their New Mexican apple pie, made with green chilies and pinon nuts!

1 comment:

  1. The Daily Pie has great pie, are you kiddin? I had a rock hard piece of something that I couldn't even eat. And they did not offer to not charge me. I went in two years later and asked for a burger. Was told no, not today. As I ate a scurvy (at best) ham sandwich, 4 men came in and ordered burgers....and got them....3 y tried once again to order their "world renowned burger", so attractive on their website and was told that is was too hot to cook a burger. I cannot commend them on anything. Coffee is weak and overpriced. I would highly recommend the Pie-O-Neer cafe. The owner there takes pride in her pies and has been in Pie town the longest..why you would give praise to the dirty, chavenistic Daily Pie is truly beyond me. Again, thinking the Daily pie may have changed and traveling thru very hungry, I ordered some green chili stew. Not one piece of green chili. It had chicken, noodles, celery and onions. When I asked what was in the chicken soup, no reply. Instantly after leaving I was sick to my stomach. That will be my last try at this roadside pit.

    ReplyDelete